Monday, May 3, 2010

En fin à Paris...



So, it's Spring in Paris.

Welcome to my newest blog, where you'll be able to get updates on my adventures in the land of cheese, love, Gothic cathedrals, high fashion, baguettes, wine, the apex of absolutism, macarons, and pretty much everything else. As my friends at the Onion put it, "Home to Earth's entire population of 62.7 million people, every single one of the planet's 427 cities, and all of its history, culture, and beauty, France is the only country in the world."

I have now been in Paris for a week, and am loving it. I live outside of the city in a picturesque little suburb called Le Vésinet but have a pretty straight shot to classes on the train. Although by the time I get back to the states in August I may be excited to drive my own car, I relish the accessible and ubiquitous public transportation. I can get every where I need to go on the Metro or the trains that run to the suburbs (the RER). So much time to read, and so much good people-watching.

My host mom Nannick is an elderly woman with four kids, all grown, and grandchildren my age. Her grandson Théo hangs around often and, when he speaks slowly enough, is a great conversationalist. I'm speaking so much French and really loving it. I can see that I've got a lot of improvement to make ("Je balbutie," as I explained to Théo, who cracked a joke about how stilted that sounds, and said, "Ah, tu bégaies!" [Also, sorry if you don't speak French, but there will be at least a bit of that on this blog, so please excuse or Google Translate it]) but am way more comfortable than I had thought I would be.

The food here is delicious: cheese with fig raisins, hazelnut yogurt, passion fruit dark chocolate, goat cheese with ash (yep, that's 'chèvre cindré'!) and everything Nannick makes. Even the apple sauce, compote de pommes, is excellent. We ate it tonight with 'fromage blanc' (literally "white cheese," but more like yogurt in texture), and it was a classy dessert rather than third-grade-sack-lunch-yes-this-counts-as-a-serving-of-fruit food.

For part of one of the courses I'm taking here in Paris, I have to keep a journal of the places I visit. To kill multiple birds with a single stone, I've opted to blog about my experiences to keep you all posted and get my 3.0 credit hours for French 345. Deal?

Well, I hope all goes well wherever you are, dear friends and family! I miss you all and wish you were here!

3 comments:

  1. Grace, your writing is fun to read--I almost feel like I'm with you in France. Loved your reference to Onion--yes, they would observe that France is the "only" country in the world! We like listening to their podcasts. Your photos are beautiful. Thank you for making time to share your experience. I doubt it compares to the sights and smells you experienced here in HK (tee hee) but you were here a short time. Love you tons, Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love you. totally subscribed to your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Grace! This is so cool. Makes me feel like I'm in Paris again. Dale and I stayed in a little hotel not far from l'Hotel de Ville. Something nasty about Robespierre comes to mind when I think of the place. I think he did a lot of his "doing in" from there until he, himself, was "done in" -- something like that.

    Thanks so much for sharing Paris. I LOVE Paris. It is, indeed, as Hemmingway said, "a moveable feast!"

    Probably my favoite place in Paris is the garden at the Musee Rodin. Love the museum itself, but the huge garden out back is a wonderful place to find some private, quite place to regroup one's brain. I hope you get there.

    On the second floor of the museum hangs a portrait of Pere Tanguy by Van Gough. Pere Tanguy used to mix the colors for the artists. He would often sell them on "credit" to those who couldn't afford them (among them Van Gough). I found it amazing that Rodin owned the painting. Also, in the gift store they sell postcards of the painting, so if you see it there would you please buy me a new one? The one that hangs on my shelf here at the computer is beginning to fade.

    Ok - smell the air for me! Or, buy a Croque Monsieur from a street vendor and eat it for me. So yummie!

    I'll be checking back. Love, Jean

    PS - I also found your other blog, which look fascinating but which I haven't yet read, but will.

    ReplyDelete