Friday, June 11, 2010

Orthodoxy in very Catholic France

On Tuesday, I took a day by myself to wander more. My one mission was to wander into the Russian Orthodox church hidden in Nice.

Woah, hold up. A Russian Orthodox church? In France?

Yes. Remember all these evidences of the tie between Russian and France? The Alexander III Bridge in the political heart of Paris, the "Sainte Russie" exposition at the Louvre... Well, here's another one. It turns out there was a sizable migration of quite wealthy Russians to Nice at the time of the Bolshevik Revolution--enough to build a church for them. Quite interesting, no?

The church is quite lovely. It's so colorful, inside and out, which seems to at least fit Nice better than it would fit Paris. Unfortunately, they don't let you take pictures inside. But here's the outside:

Before going in, I just took some time for meditation and wrote for a bit. I like this pace of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment